When you get behind the wheel of a car, you probably put safety first every time. Unfortunately, not everyone does the same thing, and a car accident can happen at almost any time. Immediately after a collision, you will probably have a lot of thoughts and emotions going through your head. What should you do next?
What To Do After a Car Accident
Immediately after a car accident, there are several steps you should follow. They include:
- Call 911: Always call 911 after a car accident. Even if you feel like you haven’t been injured, and even if you feel like there isn’t a lot of property damage, you never know what might happen after the accident. You could have injuries you don’t know about, and there could be damage to your car you cannot see. Always call 911 and ask for the police to come to the same.
- Be Honest: Tell the police officer what happened from your perspective. Try not to worry about what the other person is saying. The only thing you can do is describe what happened from your point of view.
- Get a Copy of the Report: Always get a copy of the police report. This is going to serve as an official record of what happened. You might need this later if you talked to an insurance company, a doctor, or a lawyer.
- See a Doctor: Even if you feel fine, you should always see a doctor following a motor vehicle accident. You have a lot of adrenaline going through your body after a motor vehicle collision, and this can mask serious injuries. Make sure the doctor is thorough during his or her exam, and ask for a copy of your medical records after you are done. You may need this when you file a claim.
- Reach Out to a Lawyer: After you are confident in your medical plan, reach out to a lawyer to discuss your options.
It is not unusual to have questions following a motor vehicle accident in Chicago. Some of the most common questions people ask include:
Is Illinois a No Fault State?
No, Illinois is not a no-fault state. This means that Illinois sticks to a traditional fault-based system. Following a motor vehicle accident, the person responsible for the accident is responsible for paying for the damages.
Can I Get Compensation From a Car Accident?
After a motor vehicle accident, there are two types of compensation you might receive. The first is called compensatory damages. This refers to damages you are entitled to that can cover medical expenses, property damage, and lost income.
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be entitled to punitive damages as well. These are extra damages you might be awarded to punish the party who is responsible for the accident. You could be entitled to punitive damages if the circumstances of the accident are particularly severe.
How To Hire the Right Lawyer For Car Accidents
After a motor vehicle accident, you need to hire the right lawyer. Some of the factors you should consider include:
- Area of Expertise: Not every lawyer specializes in car accident law. Make sure you reach out to someone who specializes in Chicago car accidents.
- Communication: You should work with a lawyer with whom you communicate well. You and your lawyer need to understand each other to work well as a team.
- Prior Results: Always take a look at prior case results. If a lawyer has a track record of success with Chicago car accidents, you may place your case in a better position to be successful.
If you are looking for a lawyer who can help you following a Chicago car accident, trust Cushing Law.
Rely on Cushing Law for Help Following a Car Accident in Chicago
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, make sure you call 911 and see a doctor right away. Then, reach out to a Chicago car accident lawyer for a case review.
Schedule a free consultation with Cushing Law by calling us at (312) 726-2323 or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are proud to be recognized as one of the top law firms in Chicago and a premier personal injury litigation firm. Reach out to us as soon as possible, and one of our attorneys will respond quickly.